Art Spin is gearing up for its seventh season this summer and is looking for exciting and imaginative submissions for its three tours starting in June 2015.
Art Spin is a curated bicycle tour of contemporary art in Toronto. Programming consists of commissioned, multi-disciplinary works, which range from art performances to installations, as well as visits to galleries (commercial, artist run & public) and to artists’ studios. Along with the monthly bike tours, Art Spin also curates and mounts an annual group exhibition at the end of each season which takes place in an alternative industrial space. Art Spin tours have become one of the city’s most anticipated events of the summer, attracting a diverse and enthusiastic audience of at least 300 people per tour.
Central to Art Spin’s mandate and a big part of what makes our tours so exciting is our commitment to transplanting encounters with art from conventional, institutional spaces into more alternative and public environments. We believe that encounters with art truly come to life in a meaningful and engaging way when they are experienced in a communal context, in unique site-specific locations.
In past years we have commissioned projects that have taken place in parking structures, empty lots, public parks, vacant factories and warehouses, alleyways, churches, schoolyards, community spaces, hockey rinks and construction sites.
With this in mind Art Spin is looking for artist’s submissions that are able to respond to their urban and cultural environment. Submissions for art projects from all disciplines (visual arts, installation, sculpture, film & video, new media, performance art, dance, theatre and music etc.) will be accepted but only those that embody a site-specific vision will be reviewed. This can mean work that responds to an environment in either a geographic, architectural, culture, or historical manner.
Submissions that rely on a gallery type setting will not be accepted.
Successful submissions will be considered for one of the three tours taking place on: June 18th, July 23rd, August 20th. (All tours begin at 6:30 and run until roughly9:30pm).
Submissions for time-based projects should last no longer than 15 minutes.
Although we encourage site-specific proposals, locations and venues may be altered in collaboration with the artist in order to better accommodate our tour routes.
Artists should keep in mind the large number of participants on Art Spin tours. Projects that can be easily viewed/experienced by larger groups are more successful, as are interactive projects.
Artists' fees between $500 - $1000, depending on the scope of the project, will be awarded.
(please review carefully)
- project description (500 word maximum in attached .doc or PDF format only)
- up to 10 images (attached files under 1M each, jpg, tiff, png, or gif) of proposed project and/or past work
- or, for time-based projects, please include no more than 5 minutes of video-support material (attached as mov, m4v or wmf formats or link to vimeo or youtube in your project description).
- A mix of photo and video support material will be accepted as long as there are no more than 10 items total, and no more than 5 minutes total of video
- an up-to-date CV/Resume (in attached .doc or PDF format only)
- please submit proposals by e-mail to email@example.com, due by Friday March 6th (inclusive) 2014.
- e-mailed submission must be titled “Art Spin submission 2015” and follow the guidelines above. All text and image files should be attached, not embedded in your e-mail. If you have a link (for vimeo or youtube video only) please be sure to include it in your project description and not in the body of your e-mail.
If you have any further questions about the submissions process, please don’t hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.