Submission Deadline: November 16, 2016 by 5pm
The Scotiabank CONTACT Photography Festival invites photographic artists to submit proposals for the 2017 Featured Exhibition programme.
The Featured Exhibitions category showcases high-calibre exhibitions and recognizes outstanding photo-based projects. These exhibitions are highlighted prominently in the Festival's programming and communications, including the CONTACT magazine, website, and newsletter. Featured Exhibitions benefit from promotion and coverage through CONTACT's extensive public relations initiatives and draw significant attention to the artists and venues involved.
CONTACT welcomes submissions from emerging, mid-career, and established Canadian and international artists and curators. The call is open to proposals for solo or group exhibitions on any subject matter, and to all photo-based practices. To be eligible, shows must take place for a minimum of two weeks during the month of May 2017, and must have a confirmed exhibition space.
Please submit the following by email as a zipped folder (no larger than 8MB) or by file hosting service (eg. WeTransfer or Dropbox) to email@example.com.
- 10 images representing the specific project you wish to present. Image files must be in jpeg format and no larger than 1024 pixels wide.
- An image list indicating artist name, title, medium, dimensions in inches, and year for each image.
- One-page exhibition summary outlining your concept and content. Please include exhibition title, dates, name of exhibiting artist(s), and gallery/venue name.
- A curriculum vitae or biography of the artist(s).
- Contact information including name, address, telephone, and email for the main exhibition contact person. Please note you must designate one person as the primary point of contact.
A registration fee applies:
Early Registration - available until November 7, 2016.
$275 + HST
Regular Registration - takes effect November 8, 2016.
$350 + HST
- We do not accept hard copy submissions
- Incomplete submissions will not be accepted or reviewed
- Priority is given to works that have not yet been exhibited in Toronto
- Priority is given to those presenting in professional spaces
- The exhibition space must hold public viewing hours
- Decision letters with be sent out in mid-December 2016
The Gattuso Prize
Featured Exhibitions are eligible for The Gattuso Prize, a $5,000 award that acknowledges an outstanding exhibition in the Festival. Selected by a jury, the award decision is based on the calibre and concept of the work, the curatorial vision, and the overall impact and presentation of the exhibition.
The Scotiabank CONTACT Photography Festival is the largest photography event in the world, and a premiere cultural experience in Canada, with over 1500 artists in 200 exhibitions and happenings throughout the month in the Greater Toronto Area. Founded in 1997, CONTACT is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to celebrating and fostering the art and profession of photography. In 2017, CONTACT’s core programming will celebrate Canada’s 150th anniversary.