Welcome to Akin!
Hello and welcome to Akin! You are visiting this page because you are renting shared or dedicated studio space from Akin. There is lots of information for you here, so please bookmark this page for future reference.
If you ever have questions, comments, suggestions or concerns feel free to contact your studio manager or email email@example.com
This is very important:
We expect every studio member to be educated about the materials that they use in their process. Please click this link to view a short health & safety document that we have prepared: http://bit.ly/2rASbYN
As far as rules for the studio, please carefully read the following:
- We expect general consideration towards one another and towards the space itself. Please refrain from entering others member’s studio spaces or touching other member’s things without permission. Theft and vandalism will not be tolerated.
- If you like to listen to music while you work please use headphones. If you know that no one else is in the space you are welcome to listen without headphones but when other are around please keep noise to a minimum. Please be mindful of the the level of noise you are creating if you are socializing with other members or talking on the telephone. It's important to talk, hangout, have meetings, and create community, but be respectful that others might be working.
- Never leave food out, always clean your dishes right away, and tidy any additional messes in common areas. We all use this space so try to leave it a little better than you found it. If you would like to share food with other members please label it carefully and include the date, and make sure it is in a sealed container that bugs and mice cannot get into.
- Please do your best to keep your belongings as consolidated as possible and ensure that you have your name indicated visibly on everything in all shared spaces, including the fridge. This will eliminate problems as new members try to find space and helps us when we do periodic reorganizations of the storage areas.
- Please always close and lock doors behind you when you enter or leave the building, and don't let strangers in behind you. We might not know everyone who uses the space and I don't want people to be unfriendly but most of all I want us all to be safe and feel safe. You are welcome to bring a guest occasionally, however you must never leave your guests unattended in the studio or give them studio access information. Any disruptive guests will be asked to leave the studio immediately.
Our sister organization Akin Projects hosts a wide variety of art programming each month including workshops, gallery tours, social events and more. To find out about opportunities and events check out our event calendar here, and join the Akin Facebook page.
Akin's development since 2008 has very much been based on conversations and brainstorms about how things can be improved and about other ideas that can benefit all of us. We're always happy to chat with members of the studios about this sort of thing and to put those ideas into practice, so please let me know your ideas or suggestions for ways in which we can improve your experience at the studio.
Akin has a range of resources and services for members that you may be interested in:
Akin Projects - Our sister organization, Akin Projects, is a registered not-for-profit providing free and low-cost art programming in Toronto. Includes workshops, gallery tours, collaborative projects and social events. Use the promo code 'AKINMEMBER' for a discount on paid events. For a complete listing of events visit www.akinprojects.com/events
Akin Vitrine Gallery - The Akin Vitrine Gallery is located at Akin Dupont and features the diverse talent of our members with a new installation each month. Visit www.akincollective.com/vitrine to learn more and find out about past and current installations. To submit a proposal for an installation email firstname.lastname@example.org
Art & Event Consulting - If you are looking to connect with artists for your project or event, or are in search of artwork for your space, we can help. No question or idea is too big, small or strange. Let's start the conversation. Email us email@example.com
Articulation Art Supplies Discount: Articulations give Akin studio members a 10% discount off regular priced products.
Ceramics Kiln - Akin is available to fire ceramics for studio members as well as members of the public. Visit www.akincollective.com/cermics for more details or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Health Insurance - Akin is a member of COHIP! The Coworking Health Insurance Plan is designed for freelancers, creatives, start-ups, small businesses and independent workers in any industry. COHIP provides members with affordable and accessible options. Check out the different options within the Ontario Plan and fill out an Application Form. Plans range from $63.50-$311.74 dollars a month.
Laser Cutting - Laser cutting services are now available for Akin Collective studio members at competitive prices. Click here for details or email Kira Varvanina for inquiries at email@example.com
Library - The Akin Library is a volunteer-led initiative located at our Dupont Studios. The miniature library is open to Akin Dupont shared and dedicated artists and is available for them at all times to help inform and inspire their practice. To borrow a book please fill out the sign-out sheet. We hope to have mini-libraries at all our locations eventually. Questions or comments? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Photo Booth - 96 Tears Vintage: Photo Booth will rent you their studio space. 96 Tears Vintage will supply seamless wall 9' in width, 2 Cool Lite 9 lights with stands, and Octobox Softbox. The space is 14' by 16'. $50 per hour for studio (negotiable depending on time frame). Clothing rental is also available for $50, $25 per hour styling fee if needed. For more information or to book a session. Contact Colette at: email@example.com
Printing - Akin is available to print exhibition-quality archival pigment prints for studio members as well as members of the public. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a meeting or ask any questions. Visit www.akincollective.com/printing for details or come to the Akin Lansdowne Studio to inquire about papers, sizes and file formatting.
Promotion for Members - When you have an event, announcement or exhibition coming up please send us the information and we will be happy to promote it on Akin’s blog and social media. If you'd like, you may send your website link and up to 6 images of your work to email@example.com to be included in our online member gallery at www.akincollective.com/member-gallery
Programming Space - Friends of Akin, Mike and Sally, have a small studio available for rent at 87 Wade Ave. The space is suitable for gallery shows, popups, or single evening events. Check out https://thisopenspace.com/spaces/1387
Resources list - For a list of recommended resources for artists in Toronto including current calls for submission, local exhibitions and artist residency information visit www.akincollective.com/resources
Tool Library - Akin Members receive 10% off any level of membership to the Toronto Tool Library. Learn more about the Toronto Tool Library at www.torontotoollibrary.com