FREE! Drop in anytime! Everyone welcome!
Saturday May 5, 2018
Akin St Clair, 1747 St Clair Ave W
Akin Comic Day is a one-day celebration of comic books, comic making and comic artists! Drop in anytime and stay for a few minutes or the whole day. There will be many exciting ways for everyone to explore and enjoy comic books and comic making whether you are a life-long comic fan or completely new to the medium.
Featuring comics, art, experiences and more by:
Althea Balmes - www.altheabalmes.com
Kate Drwecka – www.katedee.com
Christopher Green – www.mumblethief.tumblr.com
Carmina Miana - www.carminamiana.com
Jen Pilles – www.jenpilles.com
Sarvenaz Rayati - www.sarvenaz-rayati.com
Yamandu Sztainbok - www.instagram.com/y.smerdis
- Comic Corner: A fun selection of hands-on activities to enjoy all day! All materials provided. Collaborate on group comic projects and individual explorations of comic art and visual storytelling. Suitable for all ages and experience levels.
- Comic Reading Zone: Relax and enjoy browsing a curated selection of some of the most interesting and renowned comics out there.
- Comic Art Exhibition: Comic art by Akin Collective studio artists on display.
- Artist Events: Live drawing, comic readings, book signings and more. Akin Collective comic artists will be on-site during the event. More details to me announced soon - stay tuned!
- Comic Book Sale: Browse the sale table for some comic book treasures to take home with you!
- Official launch of the Akin Comic and Zine Library: a new permanent collection at Akin St Clair.
Official launch of the Akin Comics Club: The Akin Comics Club is a new meet-up group for Toronto artists interested in comic-making and visual storytelling to stay connected and collaborate together on events, workshops and activities in Toronto.
Akin Comic Day and the Akin Comic Club are brand-new initiatives brought to you by Akin Projects. Akin Projects is an arts programming organization and registered nonprofit established for the purpose of providing both creative and professional development opportunities to members of Toronto’s artistic and cultural community.
This building is partially accessible. The space is ground- level throughout. There are two entrances to the space, we encourage guests to use the side-door entrance. There is one step at the front door entrance and no steps at the side door entrance. There is one all genders bathroom. There is one step to get to the bathroom. There is no alternative bathroom or alternative route to the bathroom. The bathroom door is 30 inches wide. There are no grab bars in the washroom and the toilets are not raised. Akin St. Clair Studios regrets any barrier to access.
Getting here by TTC:
Akin St Clair Studios is accessible on the 512 St. Clair Streetcar Line and by bus, take either Bus 168 from Dundas West Station, or Bus 127 Spadina Station to Keele and St. Clair.
There is a private parking lot to the west of the building. It is likely that one will find a parking spot there. If not there is residential parking on Houndslowheath Road and other residential streets in the area.