Back to All Events

Desire Lines Exhibition Opening Reception

  • Steamwhistle Brewery 255 Bremner Boulevard Toronto, On (map)

A ‘desire line’ is a road but not exactly a road; a path that is formed first in the minds of the walkers who take it. A world of ambiguous in-between space, holding aspects of physical experience, interlacing memory and perception.

The often in-between space of the newcomer is always seemingly in motion; changing, ageing, transforming, renewing. As one brings more memories and experiences to a new place of residence than anything material, these carried traces emerge in the artists’ work; enjoying the walk, strolling, directed by desire lines. Through these artists’ work, we follow the act of searching in the darkness for things that are there but not there, holding on to them, trying to give them shape while searching for alternative directions in open spaces.

‘Desire Lines’ is an exhibition of ten contemporary artists who identify as newcomers and/or refugees to Toronto and are members of Akin Collective. Similar to the ways that multiple ambitions may shift and combine before being set in a concrete path, this collection of work expresses the unifying experiences that exist within individual paths.

Exhibition Dates: September 3-27 2018.
Open Reception: September 4th 2018. 7-10PM.

Eyal Sagie Pundik
Lilly Kim
Maria Queiroga
Livia Roscioli
Jieun June Kim
Lili Vera
Maren Boedeker
Sarvenaz Rayati
David Chinyama
Bianca Roco

Opening reception will feature a silent auction with 70% of the proceeds of sales going to the participating artists, and the remaining 30% going towards the creation of an award program that provides newcomer and refugee artists with Akin studio space.

Accessibility Information:
255 Bremner Boulevard is a fully accessible event space that is entirely ground level throughout.

Please let us know of any other accessibility needs so that we can do our best assist you. Please email at least one week before the event and we will do our best to accommodate. Thank you!

About Akin:
Akin Collective is a Toronto-based arts organization that provides affordable studio space as well as arts-based programming through it's sister non-profit organization, Akin Projects. Our studios provide a working environment that maintains a friendly and inspiring atmosphere where people can work on creative endeavors and entrepreneurial undertakings of all kinds. We build community through monthly art critiques, workshops, open studio events, gallery tours, exhibitions, as well as various other art projects.