Stantec Window Gallery - Call for Submissions
deadline: December 15, 2016
Spring Equinox – March 20, 2017 to June 20, 2017
Summer Solstice – June 20, 2017 to September 22, 2017
Fall Equinox – September 22, 2017 to December 21, 2017
Winter Solstice – December 21, 2017 to March 20, 2018
Above dates include installation time. Applicants must be prepared to install for the spring equinox exhibition slot - March 20, 2017. Note that although preference of installation equinox/solstice may be expressed, upon selection, the Stantec Window Gallery Committee will make the final decision on installation date.
call for submissions:
The Stantec Window Gallery is located in Toronto's historic Garment District at the corner of Spadina Avenue and Wellington Street West, in the former home of the McGregor Sock Factory. In an effort to 'give back' to the community – economically, environmentally and culturally, a part of the Stantec office retrofit, the original retail entrance to the McGregor Sock Factory was reconceived as a contemporary art gallery to be open and experienced by all: pedestrians, cyclists, drivers, streetcar riders, and skateboarders, free of charge. Installations rotate on a quarterly basis, at solstice and equinox. Curated and sponsored by the office, artists are provided with subsidized funding to create their installation.
Work of any genre or discipline will be considered, but we are looking for site specific proposals that respond to the unique spatial and cultural condition of the gallery and to engage the streetscape.
Artists are asked to consider the varying site conditions and changes over 24 hours such as light conditions and glare, lighting requirements, and perspective from the street.
In addition, the following requirements are essential:
- Work can’t be adhered (attached to) the window wall
- Cutting on the gallery window surfaces is not permitted
- Artists are to provide a description of the materials to be used
- Submission must closely resemble the actual finished work
- No noise generating devices are permitted as part of the installation
Artists will receive a flat fee of $500. Artists are responsible for all costs associated with materials, installation and disassembling. Stantec will also cover the marketing cost of one Akimbo ad posting.
Please provide one combined 8.5" x 11" pdf that includes in the following order:
- Cover - 1 page – concept image shown in the context of the window (view from the street)
- Proposal Description/ Concept - 1 page – provide: name, phone number and e-mail, 250 word max. description of the exhibit (including title of the exhibit) for Akimbo Ad and on our website, and, if applicable, preference of installation date of winter solstice, spring equinox, summer solstice or autumn equinox.
- Sketches of the Proposed Work - as many (in addition to the cover image) required to convey the idea of the exhibit.
- Curriculum Vitae - provide a 2 page maximum CV
Please email your submission to
Stantec Window Gallery
401 Wellington Street West, Suite 100 Toronto ONM5V 1E7